WHAT IS AFRICAN FASHION?
Many a times I have been encountered by curious faces, what is the dressing like there? and many times my answer has been , " well, diverse its different everywhere ." and that is what I think of it . There isn't a single word to describe it I thought. and boy was I wrong. today we will discuss the beautiful features that make up " African fashion ".
its important to note that
Africa is in fact a continent (yes you will be surprised by how many people treat it like a city) and because of that it encompasses millions of people with various tastes and backgrounds and these play a very important role in their fashion choices.when we speak of patterns and fabrics many traditional attire is linked to cultural significance all the way from the colours to the silhouettes .the one thing that is standard throughout is the inclusivity when it comes to size ranges and a quick reminder of this for me was at the recently concluded NYFW. I was invited to the Diaspora Den x the room exhibition that was held at the African center where various young African designers where showing off their work and I got to admire the craftsmanship and innovation at hand. one of the designers had his collection made from this specific fabric imported from ivory coast and I could tell it was different from a mile away. the way it soaked in the dyes and reflected along the stitches was incredible inspiring this article.
so yah I was wrong to say there wasn't a singular word to frame 'African fashion". its bold, its eclectic,and we get to see this both in the cultural wear and the modern fits developed by the various talented designers. a quick look at the Masai and one would I identify them from the patterns on their cloths and bead work. that need to always be polished is something installed in you from a young age. " you are not going anywhere looking like that ' my mom always said. so I always knew that if anything requires me getting outside I had to dress up.
and that is
very evident in the designs of very many African designers , a good example is hertunba by Florentina. the brand is art. from the maximalist colorways all the way to the tailoring. no wander Shein had started duping some of her most recent designs. a quick scroll through Instagram during the Africa magic viewers choice awards red carpet would leave one in awe... they go all out leaving the MET fighting for its stage.so yes while I cannot place African fashion in one basket because of how vast and diverse it is, I can speak of how can say its edgy.with some people sticking to cultural wear , others modern styles and most a mix of both depending on the occasion.
discover amazing African fashion designers here 🪡, follow conversations on style from the mother land here land contribute to the rhythm by uplifting and supporting young African creatives so that the rest of the world can get to experience the masterpiece that "African fashion ' is.
disclaimer; all views are mine. pictures belong to their owners . this is not a sponsored post

0 Comments