COMBATING SEASONAL DEPRESSION.

On my quest on bettering my vision on the American lifestyle I did come in contact with " seasonal depression ". Now I already  knew what depression was.. but that in some cases it was seasonal?  Now that was news.
 Visiting a place and living in a place are two completely  different ideas.. when I first visited the usa I thought I had seen the ways of the people but now that I have lived amongst them I keep learning and unlearning. When the temperatures  drop and the sun starts to set at 5, as a good chunk of the population cheers and starts to decorate for the holidays another is getting worried as seasonal depression starts to creeep in...

With many public areas less frequented  and many people opting to stay home where its warm many people find themselves isolated which results into one of the deadliest phenomenon of our time... depression. 

Now if you were someone that was already prone to this chances are the cold season is not making it any easy for you. Similar  to most I fall under the said category. 

I cant say I have been depressed. Atleast not in the passed 6 months... ( 2022 is a different conversation but I have been working on my mental health ever since).
And since its my first winter most times my mind wonders to my siblings and friends that are thousands of miles away.
 Do we text and call each other regularly.. yes but some times like today I crave a hug.. and to just be amongst  people that radiate positive auras, no judgment just vibe.. so how do I go about  it?
Figured I could share few ways you could TRY to combat seasonal depression. 

1. Keep yourself busy. 
I am lucky to have started work just in time.. that way I speak to a variety of people during  the day and God do I have the best co workers.

2. Speak to someone about your situation. 
I feel like many of us are afraid of judgment... but what is the worst that could happen? Tell someone that you feel alone and maybe they could have some tips for you...


3. Hang in there...I know I say this alot but... you belong., you are beautiful,  kind, smart and amazing... and I am soo proud of you.

Xoxo
Collin

Disclaimer; all views shared are my own and individuals should seek professional advice and support incase they believe they are depressed.  All pictures and images belong to their owners and not me.

The mental health hotline is 833-626-4244

0 Comments