MY ABRYANZ STYLE AND FASHION AWARDS DEBUT

Had always wanted to know what it felt like getting all dressed up for the biggest red carpet and fashion event of the year in Kampala.  And for some reason I knew this year was my time to find out and may be experience and boy did it deliver.......
The abryanz style and fashion awards are an annual award ceremony that recognize the biggest acts in style through out the various forms of art in Uganda and Africa and this year was no less
. Staged at the famous Serena hotel the theme for this year's asfas was the awakening.  Symbolizing the rebirth of something perhaps the asfas that has taken a break since the covid outbreak in 2019.
My day started of crazy, it was raining . I had to rush to the Ndugu art gallery to grab my mask which I had figured would look amazing with my out fit. I had seen the mask the previous weekend after I took myself on a solo (and my first ever )date 🫢🏿.
The mask was supposed to not only be a fashion statement but also a symbol of my heritage and awakening I guess.
By noon I was in a matatu headed for town as I hadn't yet made any of the clothes I was to wear later in the day πŸ˜‚. I cant  even make this up. The shirt I had drafted the previous day and was still in pieces,  the pants.....I still hadn't bought the fabric yet..

My brother and business partner kept calling me to ask how far because he knew how important this was to me, we had always watched, cheered on and critiqued those red carpet looks together and now it was my turn to show them how it was done....

I reached town at around 2 in the after noon,  hair not done, nothing figured out, just vibes and anxiety. 

Thankfully my friend and tutor jude of jude_owns_collections was also working on his fit, so we worked back to back trying to get everything done on time.

Now tell me why I thought the awards where starting at 8 in the night only to be told they were starting at 5 in the evening, I had had a tough day mentally the previous day so my preparations where all off, I honestly can't thank my friends and siblings enough for the mental support they gave and continue to give me even without knowing what is truly bothering me.

Fast forward, I am done making the outfit and I had to my friends hostel to take a shower ,get my hair in place and get dressed for Kampala's biggest night in fashion 8:10 saw me setting off for Serena and I was there in a minute or two....nervous, excited and anxious. 
 Was i dressed up for the occasion? Would I fit in? Was I at the right venue?  Would I meet my people? 
But it all watered down when I stepped foot on that carpet, I remembered the words my brother shared with me earlier that Friday. He had reminded me of how I deserved to be living the life I was creating for myself and how this was my space. And when I say I ate that carpet up 🀌🏾....Good gracious God. 
I loved every point of it, the production team went over and beyond with the event.
To my biggest surprise the very first  exhibition matched my outfit, the mask...and many people kept looking at me and I had my moment, I should say I loved the show. Big ups to all those in attendance, I loved every single look I set my eyes upon.

And the next time I set foot on that carpet I will be taking home an accolade may be for martson skincare who knows but mark these words.

0 Comments