TRAVEL GUIDE TO NEW YORK CITY 2023

I have wanted to experience New York for a great time now. The last time I was in the states I couldn't because I had school to go back home to, then the pandemic came in and I hadn't been on another flight until 12th this month and ofcourse you know damn well and good where I was heading.........good old New York city. 
Famous for its  diversity,  skyscrapers and ofcourse high cost I knew I was in for a task as I planned my trip. I made sure I wrote down (as always)  all the details made inquiries and now this is a full guide on how to enjoy NYC on a budget. 


If you haven't already subscribed to our newsletter do so for amazing lifestyle style articles, martson skincare sales and more.

So first off is you need to get to NYC to experience it ( obvi....) so I suggest you book your trips early (brussels is a very affordable airlines).
 Now New York  airports are super busy. I spent a good 2 hours at the airport before clearing with immigration so plan your transportation from the airport  ahead of time. 
If it is your first time I recommend you take the yellow cabs from the airport, they are super affordable,  comfortable and have a flat rate (meaning the fare from the airport to your final destination in New York is fixed regardless)  mine was from jfk and the flat rate from jfk is $75 plus a toll fee when getting into the city  and all totaling to  about $83.

Don't  and I repeat don't leave with the people at the airport that claim to be taxi or Uber they will charge you about $200.

Secondly since you have been on a long flight you are going to need to rest , refresh up and get ready for the big day tomorrow. 
While planning my trips I make sure I plan activities from the day after I arrive. I cant go out with a headache from the plane.......
 So this means your accommodation. 

Now the accommodation in New York is crazy expensive  and I don't know why...because there are more hotels in that city than people......and somehow there are still homeless people there (but that is a story we shall dig into later)
So you are to secure yourself some affordable housing.
 Now I did check and find a couple of affordable motels here.
But I would suggest you try checking on Facebook market place as there are always people willing to rent out free rooms of their property to people visiting the city. That means that you get affordable, secure and comfy accommodation and they get money. 

If you are traveling in a group (or even solo like me) I my best pick would be hostels. 
Yes there are a couple of hostels in NYC that go for as low as $60 a night which is pretty sweet compared to the $250 a night average stay at a hotel.
Disclaimer; the hostels have shared rooms some two beds others up to 6 so you could be put up with strangers so be very careful with your property. 

The best hostel I would recommend is the internationalstudent centre, located 38th west 88th st,ny right next to Central Park,  they have great views , wifi and they have worked with many organizations  curating around the world sustainable development goals.

Because I am a content creator (thanks to yall for sharing and liking) I did get discounted fees on many hotel stays for the hotels I reached out too so if you are one be sure to reach out one month before your arrival to schedule something. 
Now that you are well rested its time to see the famous New York. 

1. Central Park.  After reading about the history of where the park is now located (thanks to tiktok) and how it was an established black community Central Park was my first place to reach to. I loved it, liked how various families small and large came together and just enjoyed the park.  I was glad that the city acknowledged the history of the place and put up resources for everyone to educate themselves. 

2. Timesquare 
Now have you been to New York city if you haven't been to time Square? The famous stadiums , big billboard (i will be on there one day) and the moving traffic are always in style.
 Everything there is just so iconic. 
I guess the worst part of moving alone is I don't get to take nice pictures....its really hard to do that....

Also you must be wondering how we are going around the city... again...its the yellow cabs...they are 10% cheaper than Uber trust me. (I still don't know anything about the subway 🥲)

3. Lego land 
4.empire state building 
5. United Nations headquarters 

The average cost of everything in nyc was kinda higher than that in other places so be ready for that for example oreos were going for $2 (a pack with 4 cookies) yet a big box goes for $3 in ohio.

I am really skeptical with trying foods i don't eat usually  and being plant based furthers the limits so getting something to eat is always a hardle when I move..that means I make exceptions in my diets and all and the meals I usually hard where those buy the street venders..... that rice fries and chicken combo for $8 would slap... (be wary of the squirrels...)
Also a big part of nyc is workable, I think walking from street to street gave me a better picture of the city and helped me experience it better  and I am definitely going back there again . What about you?

Ps: for the past couple of months I have been working on something to help people like me that love to travel or study abroad but don't really got that much money to ease everything.  The resources are there it is just to hard sometimes and we don't know where to find what but I got something for us... for now stay safe and be kind
Xoxo

0 Comments